We recommend using behavioral based interview questions to help guide the conversation. These are open-ended questions that will help you get longer answers to questions rather than yes/no answers.
It’s also important for you to be mindful of things you should not ask. You may only ask questions that are legal and non-discriminatory. Keep the questions related to the job duties, avoid personal questions. Some examples of things not to ask:
- What year were you born?
- Do you own your home or do you rent?
- How many kids do you have?
- Are you married?
- What’s your religion?
- Do you have a disability?
- What year did you graduate?
- Are you pregnant? Are you planning to start a family?