Skip to main content

Logo for N.C. Cooperative Extension N.C. Cooperative Extension Homepage


en Español / em Português

El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.

Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.


Inglês é o idioma de controle desta página. Na medida que haja algum conflito entre o texto original em Inglês e a tradução, o Inglês prevalece.

Ao clicar no link de tradução, um serviço gratuito de tradução será ativado para converter a página para o Português. Como em qualquer tradução pela internet, a conversão não é sensivel ao contexto e pode não ocorrer a tradução para o significado orginal. O serviço de Extensão da Carolina do Norte (NC State Extension) não garante a exatidão do texto traduzido. Por favor, observe que algumas funções ou serviços podem não funcionar como esperado após a tradução.


English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.

Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.

Collapse ▲

All NC State University permanent employees are paid on a monthly scheduled. All temporary employees are paid on a biweekly schedule. Direct Deposit is required for all employees. Payroll calendars and other University Payroll forms can be found on the Controller website.


For Employees: 

  1. How do I change my personal address?
    A. You can update your personal address and phone number online via Employee Self Service in the MyPack Portal. This will update your employee information as well as your student information. Please note that some benefits providers require you to contact them directly with address changes. For information about changing your address for all of your benefits please contact Extension HR.
  2. How do I change my name on my paycheck?
    A. Your name on your paycheck must match your social security card exactly. If it does not, contact your District Extension Director’s (DED) office. If your name changes due to marriage or divorce, please visit your local Social Security Administration and request a new card. Once you receive your new card, please contact your DED office. This form will only correct your name on your University paycheck. You will need to contact Extension HR to change your name on your benefit plans.
  3. How do I change my federal/state tax status/allowances?
    A. Employees can add or change tax information via Employee Self Service in the MyPack Portal. 
  4. How do I enroll/change my direct deposit?
    A. New employees can enroll in direct deposit via Employee Self Service in the My Pack Portal. Due to heightened online security, current employees are not able to update their direct deposit information via the MyPack Portal. They should contact Extension HR to get instructions on how to make updates. 
  5. When should I close my old account when changing my direct deposit?
    A. Make sure that you don’t close your old account until you receive your first direct deposit into the new account. Failure to wait to close your old account could result in your check being returned to the Federal Reserve. This process of retrieving your money could take up to 15 days after payday.
  6. How do I request a wage/salary verification?
    A. Wage/salary verification can only be completed by written request of the employee please contact Extension HR for details.
  7. What does OASDI and HI stand for and why do they come out of my check?
    A. Old age survivors and disability insurance (OASDI) and other insurance (HI) are both social security taxes. 
  8. How do I get a duplicate W-2?
    A. Duplicate W-2 requests can be submitted through Employee Self Service in the MyPack Portal.
  9. When will I receive payment for my vacation and/or bonus leave?
    A. If you have a balance of vacation and/or bonus leave as of your termination date, usually payment is received the month after you terminate. You will receive your vacation/bonus leave pay out via direct deposit if payment is made within 90 days of termination.
  10. Am I eligible for state paid longevity?
    A. The State of North Carolina pays longevity to COSS employees who have been employed 10 or more years with any state agency. NC State University and N.C. Cooperative Extension pay COSS longevity on your state anniversary date. As a county employee, you will have to contact your county to inquire on whether or not they participate in paying their portion of your state longevity through your NC State University paycheck. The current percentages that longevity is paid are 10-14 years= 1.5%, 15-19 years= 2.25%, 20-24 years= 3.25%, 25 years or more= 4.5%. Longevity is taxed in the same method as your base pay. Longevity is prorated when a COSS employee terminates or retires that would have been due longevity.
  11. Do I have to work on my last day?
    A. N.C. Cooperative Extension requires you to come into the office on your last day of work. It is up to your supervisor whether or not you are required to stay the entire workday. If you do not work the entire workday, vacation/bonus leave must be used for the time that you do not work that day. If your last day falls on a holiday, you must work the day before and the day after to earn that holiday.
  12. I have a question regarding a deduction on my paycheck for my Federal Retirement, Thrift Savings Plan, or Federal Life Insurance. Who do I contact?
    A. Contact the Extension HR office.

For County Finance Offices:

  1. How does the payroll draft function for counties in a Send in agreement with the University?
    A. If an employee is paid via the NC State University Payroll Department but is partially funded through County Funds, the county ‘trust’ account is drafted once a month through the State Treasurer’s Office. Our office will contact the County Finance Office the last week of each month via email as to what the amount drafted will be and as to when the draft will take place.
  2. How do I determine what the object code and the earnings code represents for each Gross and Benefits amount posted on the Labor Distribution report?
    A. If a code appears on a report that you do not recognize please contact Extension HR. 

  3. Who do I contact if we don’t agree with the total to be drafted or an amount for an employee?
    A. First check with your County Extension Director, they might be able to explain any differences in payroll due to longevity, leave, bonuses or pay rate changes. 
  4. An employee terminated, transferred or retired this month from our payroll. Why are they still on my invoice?
    A. Health insurance is prepaid. January deduction pays for February coverage. February deduction pays for March coverage, etc. If a deduction is taken from the employees check our program will create an invoice.