Skip to main content

Logo for N.C. Cooperative Extension N.C. Cooperative Extension Homepage

Extension Leave

en Español / em Português

El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.

Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.


Inglês é o idioma de controle desta página. Na medida que haja algum conflito entre o texto original em Inglês e a tradução, o Inglês prevalece.

Ao clicar no link de tradução, um serviço gratuito de tradução será ativado para converter a página para o Português. Como em qualquer tradução pela internet, a conversão não é sensivel ao contexto e pode não ocorrer a tradução para o significado orginal. O serviço de Extensão da Carolina do Norte (NC State Extension) não garante a exatidão do texto traduzido. Por favor, observe que algumas funções ou serviços podem não funcionar como esperado após a tradução.


English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.

Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.

Collapse ▲

Extension HR administers all leave for employees of cooperative extension housed out in the 100 counties and the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians.
Please contact Steve Norris as soon as you are aware of the need for any of these programs or if you have any questions related to these programs.

FMLA:  Family and Medical Leave Act
This program requires employers to provide up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job protected leave to eligible employees for certain family and medical reasons. While on FML, the employer portion of your health insurance is protected as well. You have the option to use leave to remain in pay status while you are out.

FIL:  Family Illness Leave
Family Illness leave extends benefits provided under FMLA to allow an additional 52 weeks of leave without pay (LWOP) during a 5 year period to care for an employee’s child, spouse or parent who has a serious health condition. While on FIL, your job is protected, but benefits are not provided for health insurance while on LWOP. FIL can be supplemented with leave to remain in pay status.

Voluntary Shared Leave
The voluntary shared leave policy allows one state employee to assist another state employee affected by a personal or immediate family member’s medical condition. These conditions require absence from work for a prolonged period of time, resulting in a possible loss of income due to a lack of accumulated leave.

Worker’s Compensation
If an employee is injured on the job, please contact Steve Norris as soon as possible to find out what forms need to be completed. Worker’s Compensation for County Directors and Agents are paid through the University, claims for County Operational Support positions are paid through the Counties. There are separate provisions for EFNEP employees. 

Transfer of Leave and service
If you have prior service with another creditable state agency, you may be able to transfer any remaining annual, bonus or sick leave to your leave bank with NC State. Your years of service may transfer as well.